An upgrade of Hydro turbines with Franke-Filter Oil Mist Separators for the pumped-storage power plant Vianden
The pumped-storage power plant Vianden in Luxemburg, comprising of 11 turbine units and with a capacity of 1300 MW is one of the largest of its kind in Europe. Since the commissioning in 1964 the operator company SEO (Société électrique de l´Our) has been facing problems with oil mist and insufficient vacuum in the lube oil system.
- Absence of vacuum in the lube oil tank
- Oil mist spillage at the bearings and oil odours in the cavern and oil supply system
- Insufficient filtration efficiency for free air exhaust into the turbine hall
- No possibility of exact and individual adjustment of vacuum for each bearing and the lube oil tank separately.
2002 the turbine operator contacted the company Franke-Filter. After a visit on site and evaluation of the available conditions, Franke-Filter installed an individually designed an Oil Mist Separator for a one year test run. After very good results and a successful inspection by TÜV Süd, the operator ordered further Franke-Filter Oil Mist Separators for the remaining 8 turbine units.
- 2 Oil Mist Separators per each turbine unit. One provides the necessary vacuum in the lube oil tank, whereas the second is connected via a four-fold manifold to the four bearings (generator-, turbine-, coupling- and end bearing).
- Vacuum can be individually adjusted for each bearing and fort he lube oil tank.
- The filtration efficiency of over 99,9% allows air to be exhausted into the turbine hall without any concern.
- In order to regulate and monitor the filtration process and vacuum a terminal panel was installed for each machine unit. Its lights give at all times information about the status of the individual system and in it is in addition connected to the control room, in order to inform the personnel of the arising malfunctions, if any.
Furthermore the company gains other advantages through installation of a filter by Franke-Filter.
- Less maintenance work needed due to long maintenance intervals of approx. 2- 5 years. (Competing products on the Market have intervals of just ½ - 1 year)
- Saving of lube oil as the purified lube oil with all the additives is regenerated back into the lube oil tank.
- Personal contact person even after the installation for consultations and possible
- Positive assessment by TÜV Süd.